WinRAR 5.50 (32 Bit and 64 Bit) is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce the size of the file for email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format. Changes in RAR compression RAR general compression algorithm is optimized for better utilization of several processor cores. While some speed gain is possible even in single processor mode, best results are achieved in multi-core environment. Speed gain depends on data type and average file size. Several cores are utilized more efficiently when compressing large files.
What is New in WinRAR 5.50 Version
1. “Name encoding” submenu in “Options” menu allows to select encoding for archived file names. This selection affects archive browsing and extraction commands. You can use Ctrl+E keyboard shortcut to access this menu quickly.
It can be useful when unpacking an archive without Unicode file names. For example, unpacking a zip file with Chinese archived names in Windows with Russian specified as a language for non-Unicode programs.
2. If RAR recovery volumes (.rev files) are present in the same folder as usual RAR volumes, archive test command verifies .rev contents after completing testing .rar files.
If you wish to test only .rev files without checking .rar volumes, you can select .rev files in WinRAR file list and apply “Test” only to them or run: rar t arcname.part1.rev in the command line.
3. While NTFS file system permits file names with trailing spaces and dots, a lot of Windows programs fail to process such names correctly. If “Allow potentially incompatible names” option in “Advanced” page of extraction dialog is turned off, WinRAR removes trailing spaces and dots, if any, from file names when extracting. This option is turned off by default. Command line RAR also removes trailing spaces and dots when extracting unless -oni switch is specified.
4. Previously “Synchronize archive contents” update mode (-as command line switch) aborted if some of archiving folders could not be read. Now WinRAR continues performing the operation and preserves archived files matching unreadable folders.
5. WinRAR Shift+Del delete command can be used to delete folders containing non-standard file names with trailing spaces and dots. Usual delete to Recycle Bin also as Shift+Del in previous WinRAR versions cannot delete such folders.
Unlike Del command, Shift+Del removes files permanently, they are not moved to Recycle Bin. No additional prompts are issued for files with read-only and system attributes.
6. You can drag folders from folder tree panel and drop them to other programs or Desktop to copy or unpack them. Drag the archive icon in tree panel root to unpack the entire archive.
7. “New folder” button in extraction dialog proposes a new folder name based on archive name instead of generic “New Folder”.
8. Right Click on file to extract/unzip here, file or folder.
9. Command line RAR version information:
a) if -iver switch is specified, RAR displays the version number and quits. You can run just “RAR -iver”;
b) “x86” or “x64” is displayed in Windows RAR version information both for -iver and in the copyright title for other commands.
10. If -p switch is used without optional <pwd> parameter, a password can be also set with file redirection or pipe. For example: rar -p myarc.rar myfiles < psw.txt
11. Command line RAR treats ‘arcname.partN’ as ‘arcname.partN.rar’ if ‘arcname.partN’ does not exist and ‘arcname.part#.rar’ exists. For example, it is allowed to run: RAR x arcname.part01 to start extraction from arcname.part01.rar
12. Improvements in 7z archives support:
a) “Solid” status is correctly detected and reported for 7z archives in WinRAR “Info” command;
b) dictionary size is displayed for LZMA and LZMA2 7z archives in WinRAR “Info” command;
c) unknown packed size for files inside of 7z solid block is denoted as ‘?’ instead of ‘0’ when browsing the archive contents in WinRAR.
13. Size of default WinRAR viewer font is scaled up properly in Windows high DPI mode.
14. Switch -scul can be used to process big endian UTF-16 list files as well, provided that they have a correct byte order mark. Previously it allowed only little endian file lists.
15. Minimum supported Windows version is Windows XP SP3 now. WinRAR will not run in Windows XP without service packs.
16. “Settings/File list/Allow all uppercase names” option is removed. This option was intended to simplify transition from MS DOS to Windows and is not needed anymore.
17. Bugs fixed:
a) WinRAR 5.50 x64 “Compress and email” command did not work with Microsoft Outlook x64;
c) if archive was stored in a folder without “Write” permission and if archive contents was extracted with drag and drop to a writable folder, WinRAR issued an unnecessary privileges elevation prompt.
684 total views, 76 views today